Friday 13 January 2017

April 3, 2012

Today is your first non-OOTC Tuesday in five months. May I help you with your withdrawal?

Your righteous indignation and responsibility for the plight of others has resulted in record-breaking numbers of guests this past season. Over 21 weeks, 2,787 guests were nourished by wonderful folks, who agree that it is not easy to witness and walk amongst people whose lives are broken.  Yet, in feeding our guests, we nourish ourselves. The Baal Shem Tov said, “To pull a friend out of the mire, don’t hesitate to get dirty.” Our volunteers don’t just get dirty. How about wet, smelly, splashed with bleach, callused, back soreness, poorer for parking…. However, it is rewarding just to be able to bring our guests back to life in a matter of minutes with a bowl of soup, a smile, a single “hello.”  A very special thank you to Behrad and Lila for showing us how to get dirty, encouraging us and patting us on the back. You are two very special people. (Round of applause, please!)

The appreciation for our program is never greater than on the last evening in March.  Even those who hardly ever make eye contact or speak managed to break their silence, their shame or embarrassment, distrust, fear, social isolation, physical pain.  A tall, lean, un-named accented man perhaps in his 30’s stood up and, with paper in hand, spoke about the meaningful assistance Out of the Cold provided to him.  He stressed that it was not just the food served, but more so, it was the dignity and respect provided that made everyone feel full of worth and importance.

Other guests easily share their insights on life and OOTC.  To one man, I suggested that he eat his vegetables. He replied, “Healthy food makes me sick!”  Another lady remarked that our meals were visually appealing, “First I eat with my eyes.” Another man wanted to say good-bye and thanks. He has been dining at all the OOTC’s all winter in order to save up to move to Owen Sound and now can do so.  Another woman quickly and quietly entered and exited the church, but not before forcing $40 into the hand of our security man. She explained that her friend dines at OOTC all the time. Her friend will not take money from her, so she insisted on helping us help her.

To say thank you and give a collective celebratory pat on the back, please attend the Volunteer Appreciation Dinner on April 17. RSVP as soon as possible; the invitation is attached.

There is a story told by Winston Lord of a speech he wrote for Henry Kissinger. “Kissinger called me in the next day and said, ‘Is this the best you can do?’ This went on eight times, eight drafts; each time he said, ‘Is this the best you can do?’ So I went in there with a ninth draft, and when he asked me that same question, I said, ‘Henry, I’ve beaten my brains out; I know it’s the best I can do.’  He then looked at me and said, ‘Now I’ll read it.’”   Doing one’s “best” can be a cop out, something we might just say to avoid improving ourselves.  But, it’s actually a challenge – to commit one’s learning and abilities fully to the task at hand.  Come September when turning to the High Holidays and then in November when we start Season 13, we can all ask, “Did I do my best? What do I need to work on?  I’m sorry if I did not do all I could do, and I will do better in the future.”  No one is perfect, but so long as we strive with all heart and soul to do our best for those in our community, we may turn toward blessing.

For now, arriving this Shabbat, Passover is our holiday of celebrating freedom.  As we retell the story of our redemption from slavery, we underscore the fact that we must continually fight for freedom for ourselves and others.

Chag Sameach, Happy Easter, Happy and Safe Spring and Summer. And as it is written on our menu board each week, “ENJOY!”

Cindy


Responses:

Dear Cindy,
How can we ever thank you for the magnificent representation you achieve for us all and  our community--having said that,a very hearty and genuine "thank you"" from us both--we are proud and honoured to be part of such a meaningful organisation even though in just a very tiny way!!.
 We also look forward to your weekly e-mails--so beautifully thought-out and written.
See you at the "Appreciation Dinner"",until then,have a much deserved happy and restful Summer.
with love,   Ken and Arlene.

No comments:

Post a Comment