Friday 13 January 2017

February 18, 2014


Hello OOTC'ers,

Hope you had a great Family Day with loved ones and friends. We want to remind you that you have another holiday, today!

MacNab church needs their space so we shall see you next Tuesday, Feb 25!

As if you need any more motivation for doing wonderously generous kind acts, please enjoy the message below from Rabbi David Wolpe.

Yasher Koach to all of you!

Cindy

Love is not solely a feeling, but an enacted emotion. We have to act out our love for it to be real, and yet we rarely ascribe our actions to good feelings. "I hit him because I was hurt" is a commonplace; or "I lied because I was scared." But how often do we say, "I gave because I was grateful" or "I helped out because I felt joyous?" Judaism teaches that we are best known by what we do and that each mitzvah increases our tendency to more goodness. So when we feel an impulse to do something kind, it strengthens the moral muscles to act. The world needs our actions more than our intention. Many needs will not respond to good wishes, but can be fulfilled with good deeds. So the system of mitzvoth is both a training ground and a solution: if we used the positive nature of our emotions to act as we excuse our misdeeds by negative emotions, we would improve ourselves and help fix our world. Delight, too, is a spur. Don't keep your joy to yourself. Don't hoard your love. Spread it over others. Now that's a mitzvah.

No comments:

Post a Comment