Thursday 12 January 2017

January 15, 2008

Hello Friends:

I sure hope our guests washed their hands before dinner, because they sure licked their fingers after that chicken!  Waves of Raves, Susan, et al!  Of  course, ladies, the rest of the dinner was outstanding too, from soup to fruit!

A guest showed me the proper way to peel a banana last night.  He has lived all over the world, including Africa where he studied apes who really KNOW their bananas. The apes peel their bananas from the other end and then they have more of a handle from the opposite end.  Wonder of wonders. I also learned that pearl barley expands a soup like nothing else.  Miriam, we have plenty left over for next week when combined with the others in the freezer.

I also learned that towels for the guests to use in the showers, disappear faster than Susan's chicken.  Please, if you have any hand or bath towels, bring them in asap or I will pick up. I also learned that even the smallest acts of kindness matter to our guests.  An unfamiliar homeless man with a lot of belongings, was camped out at the front of the church all day. When I went outside to ask if he needed anything, he said he was fine with the lunch that Monday's group had given him, but he could use some warm socks.  He was very polite, and asked for nothing else.  When he came in later for dinner, he told me that he'd really like to get back to Toronto where he has a couch to sleep on, but his folding shopping cart lost its' wheels and his suitcase was already packed tight. Did we have another, he asked.  I told him I'd see what I could do.  This morning I brought him my "Bubbie Buggy," as we called it.  He carefully fit everything he had with him into the cart, and as I travelled up the elevator with John and his "everything," he looked at it all and then at me, and said, "Thank you so much.  I feel like I have wings again to get home."

Have a safe flight, John.

Well, it just goes to show.... you're never too old to learn new things.  You just have to be at the right place, have your eyes and ears open and reach out.

I'd love to learn about your experiences and insights, volunteer and guest stories, things you've learned in this Out of the Cold world.

Have a great week.

Cindy

No comments:

Post a Comment