Friday 13 January 2017

November 11, 2009

Good morning one and all!

Recently, a new Jewish adult mini-school started in Hamilton. Many have been imbued by its rich curriculum, stunning conversation and insightfulness of the participants and teachers.  I, for one, wish that I could have had a tape of this Monday’s class so that I could play it over and over.  Topic: Creation. Teacher, Karen Selsberg posed the question: What is your morning routine from the moment you wake up?

One student said that she opens her e-mail and gets the news of the day from international papers, mostly bad news. I answered that, after breakfast and newspapers with my husband, I go to my e-mail for a fix of my automatically delivered “Ten Minutes of Torah.”  It brings my day in focus. (The next hour is devoted to hair, makeup, … basic interference of what Mother Nature / G-d created!) Yet, another student answered that her large bedroom window faces the lake in Burlington, so she wakes up with the sun and says a prayer of thanks for this new beginning. I LOVE IT!

On my way home from our program last night, the radio played the song from Annie Get Your Gun:  I Got the Sun in the Morning. Here’s just part:

Got no diamond, got no pearl,
Still I think I'm a lucky girl.
I've got the sun in the morning
And the moon at night.
Got no mansion, got no yacht,
Still I'm happy with what I got.
I've got the sun in the morning
And the moon at night

Sunshine gives me a lovely day,
Moonlight gives me the Milky Way.
Got no checkbooks, got no banks,
Still, I'd like to express my thanks.
I've got the sun in the morning
And the moon at night.
And with the sun in the morning
And the moon in the evening
I'm alright.

The guests of Out of the Cold solidify this belief for me. I read somewhere too: “You have succeeded when all you really want is all you really need.”    For most, I hope, they are happy with what they’ve got and are genuinely thankful for what we do and know we are happy  to do it. Ralph said yesterday, “Your volunteers’ smiles make me so welcome.” Another said, “I don’t know what I’d do without you.” Anita, one of our former overnighters says that she’s signing up with the Wesley Centre, knowing that Hostels to Homes will help her get a permanent residence if she banks 100 nights in shelters. We all know the weather isn’t going to be this beautiful for much longer, so we’re over the moon that she’s going in this direction. Of course, I told her that we’re here for her material needs and vegetarian food, anytime! Last night she had a veg. chili.

The rest of our guests dined on Miriam’s turkey vegetable barley soup. Everyone agreed that it was outstanding! Chef Debbie came back after a year’s absence and put together delicious shepherd’s pies! Time off didn’t affect her magic touch! The rest was tossed salad and broccoli and bananas donated from the Food Terminal in Toronto.

So, maybe it was just the weather yesterday which put the icing on the cake, but you all have to know what a contribution you are making for our guests to feel that, “I’m alright.”

See you next week. Cindy

PS: If you do not wish to receive my lengthy reports, please don’t hesitate to e-mail me back; it’s really okay, “I’m alright.”

PSS:  One of our group mentioned months ago that she has a new-ish microwave that she wishes to donate. I found a lady who can become a recipient; but I can’t remember now who has the microwave! Help!

Responses:

Great job Cindy.  I really enjoy your weekly e-mails.  Don't stop. Barbara



No comments:

Post a Comment