Friday 13 January 2017

September 25, 2009

Hello to my wonderful Out of the Cold Friends.

I have missed all of you and know that you have missed everyone too, especially yours truly! I look forward to hearing about what you have been doing these many months away from OOTC.
It is unusual for me to interrupt your OOTC respite this early, but I thought it respectful of your time commitments with our group to give you an update of future changes to our food and shelter program.

After careful consideration, the entire OOTC program will no longer provide overnight accommodation. Our popular and much needed dinner program WILL continue as before.
The reasons are numerous, but one stands out strongly: there are empty beds in most of the shelters in Hamilton. In fact, on average, only 74% of available beds are occupied.  Our existence is compromising the funding of other shelters and their worthy programs which address related challenges faced by the homeless.

The successful Hostels to Homes program has permanently housed 120 individuals and the initiative continues. Two new small women’s shelters have opened. The move and expansion of Martha House is to be realized by next year. If we look to our own overnight statistics, it is noted that the number of our homeless guests have been dropping for the last three years. There is an adage: “Do not put your faith in what statistics say until you have carefully considered what they do not say.” William W. Watt

In my heart and mind, what has not been said addresses two imperatives. The first is our concern for every one of the guests whom we have sheltered; some individuals have stayed with us yearly since our program began.  Will they go to the open shelters? Will they feel that we have let them down?  Steps will be taken to follow the decisions made by OUR guests. Continuous evaluation of the shelters’ statistics will be scrutinized.  Coats, boots, warm accessories, socks, toiletries, and other necessities will continue to be distributed by us. As time goes on, there may be the identification of other needs or services which we can offer.

Secondly, the response by many of you to serve in the capacity of lunch makers, shoppers, night set-up crews, security companions, and breakfast teams is more than kindness personified.  At this time of the Jewish High Holidays, we look within ourselves and look out into the world and try to do what we can to square the person we would like to be with the world we live in. And we try to make the world we see into the world we would like it to be.  You have heard the pleas of empathy, compassion, and kindness and responded with whole hearts and warm hands. Please consider another capacity within OOTC to fulfill the yearning you have to improve our world.

At one time or another, have we not all hoped that a program such as OOTC would not be needed?  The verity of this decision is actually a wish that has come true due to the responsible actions of many groups, government involvement…. And YOU.

Joanne, Lila and I look forward to speaking to you soon. Gmar chatimah Tova. May you be inscribed in the Book of Life.  A healthy, peaceful and fulfilling year to all of you.


Cindy

Please forward this message or speak to OOTC Volunteers who may not receive my mailings.


Responses:

Hi Cindy:
Thank you for the OOTC email. As usual, you say things so beautifully and eloquently. Your words always touch me deeply.  I hope to be part of the OOTC family once again this year. I want to wish you and your family, Gmara Hatimah Tova and all the best for this New Year.
Clareta

HI Cindy,  know that I am ready and willing to help out  and before we know it November will be here  Shanah Tova to you and all your family  Jeanette

Wow Cindy thank you for those beautiful words! I was just wondering, will there still be breakfast or because there is no longer overnight, breakfast is cancelled as well? And I'd it is cancelled can I join the evening dinner program and still be involved? Chag samesch and I hope to hear from you soon!
Hava


Thanks for your very informative e-mail.  I was actually going to offer my services once again this year for the breakfasts once or twice a month but I see that my services will no longer be needed.  My husband is still quite ill but has reached a plateau and we are happy with that.  Funny thing I was at the bank the other day (downtown at Bay and Main) and a ran into a former out of the cold guest.  He said he has not been around for the past couple of years as he has settled down got a place and is presently working.  He remembered me from the breakfasts that I was involved in and we chatted for a few minutes.  I told him that I had heard that there  may be no more sleepovers from the out of the cold program but of course there were many places to sleepover at, but the dinners would still be continuing. He always thought that it was a great program and the volunteers were terrific.  He was always so helpful at the breakfasts.  Cindy, I m afraid I cannot do the Tuesday evening or day help, but if I can do something else to help out, I would be more than happy to too. I always thought this was such a great program to volunteer with.  Take care Cindy and once again I look forward to your e-mails regarding the program.
Regards, Barbara

No comments:

Post a Comment